Book Review: Meridian

Meridian (Arclight #2)
Published By: Greenwillow Books
Publication Date: April 22, 2014
Page Count: 458
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Publisher via Edelweiss
Audience: Young Adult - Science Fiction

I loved Arclight so I have been anxiously awaiting Meridian. The wait was well worth it. McQuein jumps quickly back into the action. There isn't a lot of elapsed time between the first novel and this one. One of the things I love most about these novels is the action; there are few dull moments in this world. I also like that there is a new sort of being in this one. Like the Fade in Arclight, I won't comment too much on this being as I feel its best experienced firsthand without previous knowledge. It's really hard to review this series without spoiling anything, but I have managed. I also tried to be somewhat vague in this review so I didn't spoil the first novel for those who haven't read it yet.

As with the first novel, I loved the dynamic between Marina, Rue, and Tobin. It's so hard to firmly choose a male's side because I feel that they both are important to Marina. I do favor Rue slightly more than Tobin, but it is by a narrow margin. I like that while there is a love triangle - it's not your typical, run of the mill variety. This one is a lot more complicated.

In addition to the romance angle and the fast paced plot, I love the friendship between Marina and Anne-Marie. It's always nice to see a strong friendship among females in a YA novel - especially one that doesn't involve fighting over a guy. I love Marina's tenacity and Anne-Marie's loyalty. Many of us could stand to learn from the bravery these two exhibit in the face of unsurmountable obstacles.

I also found Marina to be a more likable character in this one. She is no longer the blank slate that she started Arclight as, but rather she has formed a personality and has layers of complexity present. Her character is constantly evolving as the series progresses.

As with Arclight, Meridian kept me guessing up until the very end. I really enjoyed the twists and turns in this one; I loved watching secrets unravel and impact the characters.. I can only hope there will be another book. While this one has an end and doesn't leave you hanging, there is certainly room for more story. 

Overall, I enjoyed this novel as much as the first one. The creativity, action, and character development was enough to entertain and provide some thought provoking moments. I particularly enjoy thinking about ethics while reading this series.


One Last Gripe: This one like the first one took me a little time to settle into the narration.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: The introduction of the new being

First Sentence: We're at Day 49 AF - the days since the Arc fell.

Favorite Character: Rue

Least Favorite Character: Honoria



Marina thought that she had solved all of the Arclight’s mysteries. She had found her own history—that she was one of the Fade, that she never should have been human. She knows that the Fade who surround the Arclight don’t want to be the humans' enemies at all. She knows that the leader of those inside the Arc, Honoria Whit, never told the whole truth. But there is so much more that Marina is just discovering. There are more survivors out there. Only Marina—and her friends, all of whom have connections to the Fade they'd never known about—can lead her people to them. But there are also darker dangers, things that even the Fade fear. And Marina slowly realizes she may never have been “cured,” after all. The sequel to Arclight, Meridian is an intense, action-packed page-turner about the lines we draw between right and wrong, light and dark . . . and the way nothing is ever that black and white.

Comments