Book Review: Afterglow

Afterglow (Wildefire #3)
Published By: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
Publication Date: November 12, 2013
Page Count: 336
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Fantasy/Paranormal, Mythology

Ash's story is finally coming to a close and it certainly goes out with a bang. Afterglow channels all the things I loved about the first novel while upping the stakes. Ash is still on Colt's trail, but now he has has Eve and Rose under his spell. Can Ash liberate her sisters, complete the task given to her by The Cloak, and find a way to a lead a normal life?

I have loved Ash since the first moment I met her. It's impossible not to be sucked in by her sarcasm, fierce loyalty, and moments of self doubt. She is a multi-layered character that kept me on my toes. I also loved that in spite of doubts, Ash never backs down from her convictions. She is an excellent role model for teen girls. I wish more YA heroines had some of her character traits. You won't find a damsel in distress lurking within this story. 

I don't want to say too much more about the plot of this one, but I will mention that it is explosive. The character body count continues to creep higher and higher while the action and conflict intensifies. The fight scenes toward the end had me on the edge of my seat.

One of the strengths of this installment are the complex relationships. I was particularly drawn to the relationship between Ash and Eve. These two have a volatile history and it was interesting to see how things ended up for the sisters. I was slightly shocked, but I do feel that this series ended in a way I could accept. The last chapter was masterful and allowed me to leave this world with a sense of peace. 

All in all, I have truly enjoyed every moment I have spent reading about Ash's adventures. This series has provided me with moments of laughter, tears, and heart palpitations. Knight's writing is also some of the best in YA. I love his use of symbolism and description. I highly recommend diving into these novels if you haven't had the pleasure of meeting Miss Wilde.


One Last Gripe: I wanted some resolution concerning Saga's fate.

My Favorite Things About This Book: I loved learning about a vast array of gods and goddesses while reading not only this novel, but the entire series. In addition, I adore these characters. Lastly, I loved all the different settings and the past merging with the present.

First Sentence: Colt's snowmobile picked up speed as her revved the engine, racing north across the vast glacier.

Favorite Character: Ash

Least Favorite Character: Epona



The action thrills and the passion burns in this red-hot conclusion to the Wildefire trilogy.

Teenage volcano goddess Ashline Wilde discovers that her former love, Colt Halliday, has an evil plan to kill the Cloak, the benevolent beings that oversee the gods. And that’s not all—he also wants to merge Ash and her two sisters back into a single, too-powerful goddess, Pele. Ash must stop her trickster-god ex-boyfriend once and for all…and to do it, she’s going to have to feed a few flames.

Comments