Book BFF: Puck


Book BFF was created by Larks Andrea, Paula, and Jen to showcase some of our favorite ladies & was originally inspired by Book Boyfriend. We'd love it if you'd join us featuring your favorite Book BFFs and leaving links so we can check out your posts. We will be alternating between Book Boyfriends and Book BFFs on Thursdays.


This week my Book BFF is Puck
from Julie Kagawa's
The Iron Fey and The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten series


Puck's Appearance:

"Lanky and tall, in tattered jeans and an old T-shirt, he paused to look at my pale face, before cracking up again.  His spiky red hair lay plastered to his forehead and his clothes clung to his skin, emphasizing his lean, bony frame, as though his limbs didn't fit quite right.  Being drenched and covered in twigs, leaves, and mud didn't seem to bother him.  Few things did." ~ Meghan describing her best friend, Robbie Goodfell, p. 18, The Iron King.

"He had changed.  Hunter-green pants and a thick brown hoodie replaced his jeans and ratty T-shirt.  I couldn't see his feet very well in the mist, but it looked like he'd traded his sneakers for soft leather boots.  His face was leaner, harsher, with sharp angles and pointed features.  Combined with his bright auburn hair and green eyes, he reminded me of a grinning fox.

But the most noticeable difference was his ears.  Slender and pointed, they jutted out from the sides of his head, like...well, like an elf's.  And, in that moment, all traces of Robbie Goodfell disappeared.  The boy I'd known for most of my life was gone, like he never existed, and only Puck remained."  ~ Meghan noticing the changes in Puck upon entering the Nevernever for the first time, p. 73-74, The Iron King.


Who Do I Picture as Puck?

With his unique and timeless looks, I picture Puck to look like Eddie Redmayne.  I believe that Eddie Redmayne is a natural red-head, too...perfect!


Facts About Puck
(may include some spoilers)

*  Puck has many names, but perhaps he is best known as Puck or Robin Goodfellow.

*  Before he revealed his true nature to Meghan, she knew him as her BFF, Robbie Goodfell.

* The legendary Puck belongs to the Summer/Seelie Court, where he serves King Oberon and Queen Titania...as in, they are his bosses!  He's not always known to follow their orders to the 'T' though.

*  Puck is THE consummate prankster.

*  His humour or misjudgements have been known to backfire, and at least one time, in a terrible way.

*  He is also very mischevious!

* His weapon of choice is a dagger...multiple daggers, actually.

*  Even though Meghan views Puck as her best friend, Puck is in love with her.

*  Puck would do anything in his power for those he loves...especially Meghan.

*  His once best-friend (long before Meghan) was Prince Ash of the Winter/Unseelie Court.

*  A very bad call on Puck's part resulted in Ariella's death (Ash's beloved before Meghan) and Ash's vow to kill him one day.

*  Puck is a Pouka - he can glamour himself into various forms...his favourites being a crow(s), or multiple Puck's...especially useful in escaping and fighting his enemies.


Quotes From/About Puck (all quotes from Goodreads except where noted):

I would be more than her guardian and her champion and the jester who made her laugh. I would be her everything, if I could.  ~ Puck, Summer's Crossing

~

“If I made a habit of waiting for an invitation, I’d never get to go anywhere.” ~ Puck, Summer's Crossing

~

I was here for Meghan. Because I loved my princess and I wanted her to be happy. Even if her happiness meant she was with someone else. Even if that someone else was my arch rival. I wanted her to be happy.  ~ Puck, Summer's Crossing

~

“I’m going to kill you one day,” I told him as we hurried after Grimalkin, back into the swampy marshland. It was not an idle threat.
Puck just laughed. “Yeah. You and everyone else, prince. Join the club.” ~ Ash to Puck, The Iron Knight

~

... it means putting up with my fiercest and most annoying rival, Robin Goodfellow, who - despite all his attempts to hide it - is in love with my queen as well. I don't know why I haven't killed him yet. Maybe because Puck is Meghan's closest friend and she would mourn him terribly if he were gone (though I can't imagine why).  ~ Ash about Puck, The Iron Knight

~

“Quick question.” Puck’s voice broke the silence. “Did anyone think to bring a can of Off?” 
~ Puck, The Iron Knight

~

“You don't think I know that?” Puck was shouting now, green eyes feverish. “You don't think I regret what I did, every single day? You lost Ariella, but I lost you both! Believe it or not, I was kind of a mess, too, Ash. It got to a point where I actually looked forward to our random duels, because that was the only time I could talk to you. When you were freaking trying to kill me!”
“Don't compare your loss to mine,” I snarled. “You have no idea what I went through, what you caused.”
“You think I don't know pain?” Puck shook his head at me. “Or loss? I've been around a lot longer than you, prince! I know what love is, and I've lost my fair share, too. Just because we have a different way of handling it, doesn't mean I don't have scars of my own.”
“Name one,” I scoffed. “Give me one instance where you haven't—”
“Meghan Chase!” Puck roared, startling me into silence.   ~ Puck to Ash, The Iron Knight

~

“Huh, another queen,” Puck mused, an evil grin crossing his face. “Maybe we should drop in and introduce ourselves, ice-boy. Do the whole, hey, we were just in the neighborhood, and we were just wondering if you had any plans to take over the Nevernever. Have a fruit basket.” ~ Puck, The Lost Prince


Why Is Puck My Book BFF?

Well, I had a hard time deciding if Puck was more BFF or Book Boyfriend material.  Puck was incredibly funny and completely loyal.  I love that in any guy.  He was fully capable of being charming but I personally found it hard to take him seriously in a romantic way.  He was the complete polar opposite of Ash, and yet I could see the decision that Meghan had in front of her was a hard one to make.  With Puck's qualities, I'm sure she and Puck might have worked had they gone beyond  'friendship territory'...but it was different with Ash, and I could see that plain as day.  Don't get me wrong...I ADORE Puck...but I would have made the same choice as Meghan did had I been in her shoes with these two boys in my life...and would also hope that Puck would stay my best friend.


Comments

Post a Comment

We love your comments!