Book Review: Friday Night Bites

Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires #2)
Published By: NAL Trade
Release Date: September 2009
Buy it at Amazon
Source: Library
Audience: Adult
Format: Audiobook
Read my Review of Book #1 in the series!

Please don't judge these books based on their cheesy titles and covers. I promise that they are well worth the read. Vampire and mystery fans will really take to this series. There are some romances brewing as well, but these are not romance novels so it's all been very PG-13 thus far, but I predict that Merit's love life will pick up as the series progresses. These books have become my current guilty pleasure. I keep devouring them like candy. I love losing myself in Merit's world of butt-kicking, black leather, katanas, and hot vampires and supernaturals. Ethan, Morgan, and Catcher are sure to make your heart race.

This is a solid second novel to move the series forward - there were more loose ends in this book than the first. I was grateful that I already had book three sitting in my jeep waiting to go. I am also a total nerd and found this website for Cadogan House that made me so excited. 


This edition has Merit finally moving into Cadogan House so that she can more effectively act as house sentinel. Her move forces her to spend more time in the company of her houses' master vampire, the handsome Ethan Sullivan and strains her relationships with friends and family. Can Merit keep her mind focused on work and avoid thinking of her boss in romantic ways?

Friday Night Bites delivers the same mystery and intrigue that I have come to expect from this series, but adds a new element by bringing in issues with shifters. On the eve of the pack masters' arrival in Chicago this could spell trouble for the Chicagoland Vamps. I love watching Merit exert her girl power and snark as she seeks to tackle a peaceful resolution. She is by far one of my favorite female characters in contemporary fiction. Chloe Neill is working on solidifying her position as one of my favorite authors; I love her style and wit.


One Last Gripe: I missed Mallory in this one. She was off practicing witchy things and didn't get much attention in this installment.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: Merit and Ethan's constant bickering and banter

First Sentence: "Higher, Merit."

Favorite Character: Merit

Least Favorite Character: Selena



The story of a young heiress's initiation into the dark society of the Chicagoland Vampires continues...

Ten months after vampires revealed their existence to the mortals of Chicago, they're enjoying a celebrity status usually reserved for the Hollywood elite. But should people learn about the Raves-mass feeding parties where vampires round up humans like cattle-the citizens will start sharpening their stakes.

So now it's up to the new vampire Merit to reconnect with her upper class family and act as liaison between humans and bloodsuckers, and keep the more unsavory aspects of the vampire lifestyle out of the media. But someone doesn't want peace between them-someone with an ancient grudge.

Comments